Friday, April 17, 2009

FRIENDSHIPS AND ........


The handsome gentleman in the above picture, is a personal friend that I visit once or twice a year! He never gets any older and therefore doesn't realize that I do! He's really a "steady Eddy", don't you think? ;-)

We spent 3 wonderful days with my best friend and her hubby, over the Easter holiday. Had such a great time. My best friend and I met when we were age 5. We've had such a special sense of how to keep our friendship going...even after a terrible year in high school where we didn't speak to one another for several months! I don't really remember who "went first" to patch things up, but we did! That's pretty tough when you're a teenager of 16! Our lives after high school went a different direction, and other than for a short period of time, we haven't lived in the same town, or even state for that matter. We have lived 4 hours apart for the last several years and talk on the phone frequently. Even though we were half a continent away from one another for an extended period of time, we never lost our connection. How precious to have a friend that has known you since you were a child, and can still laugh, cry, reminisce over one another's families, and feel that we are truly sisters! Love you, best bud!

When I was young, it was difficult to have more than one friend at a time, unless it was a very large group and no two were "best" friends. There was an exception to this when 4 of us just got along and had the best time together! I think that was due to personalities that just meshed. But as I age, my heart has expanded and made room for several friends. Some are only a distant memory now, others are simply gone, yet many remain so necessary to me. By this, I mean there are friends that cause me to think more than I'd like to, sometimes! Others that keep me in stitches. Some who bring out a more tender, compassionate side of me and still others who are steady and reliable. Each one fills a niche in me whose loss would be noticed if they weren't in my life! I also have a cousin that is like a sister to me! We no longer live in the same area, but each time we visit one another, it's like it was yesterday! The most special part, is that nearly all of my friends are saved, and we get to spend forever together!! Whoo-hoo! :-)

One of my friends and I went to the mall the day after we returned from our getaway. My friend walked out with such an adorable puppy! A little 3 month old Bichon/Poodle mix. She has future plans for him to be a hospital therapy dog! What an inspiration that is. This particular friend has health issues that would have laid flat the strongest of men! God picks her up time and again and gives her the most amazing joy I've seen in a person! The next day we met at the vet's...her puppy for a well-puppy checkup and my dog for his rabies and bordatella vaccine. So, all the best to her and Benjie!

Also this week, visited one of my daughters a couple of times, had fun conversations with my son and also my other two daughters. My oldest daughter and her hubby will be visiting soon! Today, I had lunch with another friend, and as usual, the time went too quickly! We could visit for hours, if we could find those extra hours! Tomorrow night, some fairly new friends are coming to dinner, and we are both looking forward to that.

To round up the next couple of months, going on a 4 day trip with one of my daughters to visit her son in college, modeling in a hair and fashion show in mid-May, attending my son's college graduation and a grandson's high school graduation when another daughter and grandkids will be visiting, then in early June, having shoulder surgery if I don't chicken out! :(

Intersperse this with birthday club, church activities and some home projects, and I should lost a pound or two!

I am so excited about my home projects, and expect to get those underway this next week! Or, maybe not, as I look at my calendar realistically. Wish I could just phase out sleep!

1 comment:

B.D.Riehl said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading about it all :) Friends are wonderful, aren't they? Glad you're one of mine ;)