Saturday, March 7, 2009

THE FORGIVING SPIRIT


Has your heart ever just literally hurt from emotional pain? Silly question...of course it has! It then sets our minds in motion with those "pretend conversations" we have with the other half of the problem; could be a spouse, dear family member or friend, perhaps just an acquaintance!

When this occurs more than a couple of times, Satan can then begin to "nick you here, pinch you there, rev up your heart rate, tears flow", and oh my, what a victim we suddenly become. We become convinced there is something wrong with us, or others would never treat us badly!

Many, many years ago, a soon-to-be family member voiced that she didn't like or trust me! I was devastated and horrified, as I liked her very much. Several years went by. Each time the pain was "inflicted", I forgave it, and knew in my heart that WHEN the Lord gave us a relationship it would be, for me, as if nothing had every happened and I could speak with her as if continuing a conversation from the day before. Guess what?! God did bring about a relationship and it was so beautiful and special. The truth of forgiveness is true!

A few years ago, I re-established a friendship from high school. It was so enjoyable to catch up and learn about who each of us had become. Yet one day, I discovered I had been "gossiped" about, confronted my friend, was told that I could never be trusted as a friend again, made 4 attempts to "fix" it with her and to this day, we do not speak. Have I forgiven it? Absolutely, and within days of learning about it. I could greet her this moment and welcome her return as a friend. The truth of forgiveness is true!

Some time back, one of my very good friends, who has very strong, and in my opinion, somewhat radical views, became angry and hurt that I asked her to not talk about those issues with me anymore. I apologized to her, but said it was very upsetting to me. She let me know that our friendship was over, yet within 2 weeks I approached her after much prayer, we restored our friendship and are the better for it! I love her dearly. The truth of forgiveness is true!

Recently, a friend of nearly 15 years stopped returning phone calls and emails. After about a month, I did phone once again and she did answer, and let me know that because I had enjoyed the movie Mama Mia more than once, in fact, several times, that I had no discernment, should not be teaching a Bible study class, thought I spend my money to the detriment of my husband, had not befriended a mutual friend in the way she had, and I had supposedly given a political view of our Pastor (which was entirely untrue and the woman who said that to her was confronted by me and denied it). After hanging up and not defending myself against any of the accusations, other than the one about my Pastor, I cried and cried, filled with pain and disbelief. It took quite a few weeks to believe I had truly forgiven her, and finally wrote her a letter. Have not heard back, but remain hopeful. The truth of forgiveness is true. It is very freeing!

These are just some examples of misunderstandings that happen between friends, family members and acquaintances. I could add to my list and you could make a long list of your own. Then the best part, is making a list of those WE have hurt! A real eye-opener!

Now, my spirit rejoices that someday, none of these things will matter or even be remembered! I must admit, however, that a bit of my flesh is disappointed that I won't care when I won't remember to tell someone how much pain they inflicted on me. Too bad, so sad! :> So, better to lift that ol' hurt off right away. Matthews 17:6 speaks about forgiveness. If interested, look up the meaning of the sycamore tree, plucked out and into the sea. In the Greek, those are powerful words full of meaning!

Our only example of what it means to forgive is in our perfect Savior. I thank Him daily!

No comments: